Welcome to my front porch!

Hi! I'm Donna! I grew up sitting on the front porch drinking iced tea and spending time with friends and family. Welcome to my front porch. Pull up a comfy chair, grab a glass of tea, sit back, relax and ENJOY!!!

Monday, September 1, 2008

Saving Money at the Grocery

With the economy the way it is and so many of my friends wondering how to spend less and save more I thought I post how I do what I do. LOL!! In town I'm legendary for spending NOTHING and getting LOTS.

Today is grocery day!! UGH!! I hate going to the grocery! Seriously, this is one of my least favorite chores. Unfortunately, my family demands dinner, so I must go.

There's a method to saving money.

  1. Check out the ads!! Find out what's on sale where and for how much. TIP=If you're like me and you hate sales papers laying around, then check out your stores ad online!!!
  2. Menu Planning!!! After you've perused the ads, make a menu including the items that are on sale. Making a menu is KEY to saving money. If you don't then you'll be going into the devil's lair without any preparation and you'll end up BURNED!! So make out a menu for a week, or 2 or heck even 4. TIP=The less you shop the more you'll save!!!
  3. Generic v/s Brand Name!! If Special K bars are on sale for $2, that's great, BUT before you grab that box check out the generic brand. They taste the same and could save you as much as 0.50cents more per box.
  4. Coupons!! Shopping the sales and buying generic is great, but coupons are where the money is. The Coupon Mom, www.couponmom.com, is a fabulous site that will help the virgin couponer. OH AND IT'S FREE!!! She has a whole system and you can watch a how-to video on her system here!

So, with all that in mind I'm off to check out the online sales ads. As much as I hate it, I've checked the fridge and there is NO putting it off. I'll be back later to show off my deals.

2 comments:

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Hey SITSta!! I love grocery shopping now thats its just the hubby and I. I'm in and out in a flash!

Anonymous said...

OO THANKS FOR THE COUPON TIP MOM THAT'S SOO COOL i HOPE i CAN GET SOME GOOD DEALS AND FOLLOW YOU IN MENU PLANNING